Pages

Wednesday 18 November 2009

Reach Out and Touch A Developer!

I can only imagine what you're expectations are of this post given the title! You may be reading this for entirely the wrong reasons. If so, remember, Google is your friend.

Over the weekend I caught the DDD bug and started buying books, subscribing to blogs etc. As part of my random hops I stumbled upon Stephen Oakman of The Agile Workshop. He says in his Contact Us page that anyone is welcome to just pop in if they're passing. Having found myself in Cambridge yesterday lunchtime I did just that. Bit of a risk || leap of faith but I thought, hey, why not?

Turned out to be a fantastic use of a lunch hour. Once they'd gotten over the shock of someone actually taking them up on their offer we settled into some truly geeky discussions.

So, why on earth am I blogging about this?

Simple: if you work remotely you need to actively build a network of peers.

With the advent of Skype, Mikogo etc. remote working has never been so productive; but a developer in this environment still won't have a pool of knowledge comparable to, say, working in a large, office-based company. The guys at The Agile Workshop not only make half-decent coffee but seem pretty spot-on in many fields of software development that I am passionate about. They also loaned me a raft of books from their 'library', which I will return - honest :).

Here's to a mutually beneficial relationship.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,

    Thanks for the great post - and it would be great to see you again. Also, I'm facilitating AltNetBeers Cambridge (Xmas Edition) tomorrow night (15th Dec) at The Tram Depot - it would be great to have you along.

    Cheers

    +Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. ezTalks is the world's leading online video conferencing provider that enables you to connect with people anywhere and anytime. Integrated with HD video conferencing, audio conferencing, screen sharing, content sharing, remote control and other powerful features, it can be widely applied to all industries
    top 10 video chat
    video and teleconferencing
    group video conference apps

    ReplyDelete