Pages

Tuesday 13 October 2009

Enabling Code Coverage on TFS Build Server Without VS Test Edition

Back in May 2009 I exchanged a number of emails with Buck Hodges regarding Code Coverage on my build server. Here's my original blog: Oi Microsoft, this IS part of Development!. Basically, the upshot was if you don't have Visual Studio 2008 Test Edition installed on your build server you will not be able to run Code Coverage as part of your automated builds.

Well, I've now managed it.

To be honest I'm not exactly sure how this happened! Inside my Default.TestRunConfig file I had my main (ASP.Net MVC) project enabled. Recently, I have added more projects to my solution and their respective \bin\debug\ dlls have been automatically added to the Code Coverage list of artifacts to instrument. I then noticed that Code Coverage results were appearing in the build for these new libraries. No coverage for my main project though. The final stage was to remove the Code Coverage reference to the main project and, instead, target the resultant dll.

I now have full unit testing and code coverage on my entire solution - a result that, apparently, can't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment